Monday, October 17, 2011

a healthy family

last week i learned that my cat - yes i realize this is the second time she's been mentioned within the first week of this blog but i'm going somewhere with this - may or may not be in pain even though she does not appear to be.  (apparently cat's mask their discomfort very well.  news to me.)  i explained to my parents that i did not know how to proceed as i do not want her to suffer but i certainly do not want to cut her life short if she's feeling fine. i wish she could talk.

my mom: (speaking to my dad, referring to me) "watch how she handles this.  it will be a good indicator of what our future holds if we ever can't speak in old age."
my dad: "if i blink twice, don't pull the plug."

we laugh.  we go back to work.  one hour passes.  i approach my dad's desk to ask him a question regarding an order.  he has just read an email and is wearing a bluetooth headset (he does not appear to be on the phone from my vantage point.) i ask him my question.  he stares vacantly back at me but does not speak.  i ask again.  he does not say anything.  i suddenly panic.  was the joking earlier a premonition?  is he having a stroke?  sheer panic overcomes me.  he begins speaking, still looking at me but not making sense or answering my question.  i ask "what's wrong?!"  no response.  with great relief, i realize he has in fact been on a conference call.  i am grateful this was only my dad attempting to multitask a call, an email and a real life conversation.  so thankful for a healthy family.
 (photo- dad multitasking)

No comments: