Wednesday, December 7, 2011

CSA

My friend Noah and I have been wanting to go in on a CSA order for months.  A CSA- Community Supported Agriculture- is where a group of individuals buy local, organic foods, support farmers, and bypass the horrific food production process.  The CSA sends out a weekly email with the produce options, you decide if you want to purchase, and then pick up at the end of the week. 

Example box- BRAEBURN APPLES - 3CT / BANANAS - 2# / BARTLETT PEARS - 3CT / MANGOES - 1CT / REDLEAF LETTUCE - 1CT / ACORN SQUASH - 1CT - SC / FENNEL - 1CT / GREEN PEPPERS - 1CT - FL / ROMA TOMATOES - 1# - FL / CUCUMBERS - 1CT - FL

The only hang up I personally have is trying to determine if I can eat all of this fresh food before it goes bad. Best to find a friend to split or plan to cook a bunch.  Urban Cannibals in east atlanta hosts a great CSA option.  Noah and I finally got around to ordering and decided to make a meal with our fresh produce.  I cannot believe we waited so long to partake.  Will definitely be making this happen on the regular. 

(photo- spaghetti squash with basil, sauteed kale in garlic, breaded tofu, wine (tofu & wine not from CSA))

No comments: